Re: 2.6 kernel upgrade gives garbled video (w/o X11)

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:51:30PM -0000, amhoov@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jun 22, 4:00 pm, "amh...@gmail.com" <amh...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> > > I think there is some new console-font stuff happening. You can see it
> > > with a successful post-sarge boot .. the screen flickers while it sets
> > > up the consoles. Have you tried booting single-user mode?
> >

> > No, I haven't tried booting into single user mode yet. That's a good
> > idea.
> >
> > As for the error, I was getting this error when trying to upgrade the
> > kernel:

> > Then, I get this error when trying to upgrade libc6:

[....]

> So, I managed to revert back to the Sarge packages and install the
> Sarge 2.6 kernel (2.6.8) without issues. However, I'm still getting
> the same garbled checkerboard pattern after boot. I tried booting in
> single user mode and still got the same video issues at the console.

so, who knows what else might have gotten changed and what other etch
stuff you may have drug in. One of these things could be causing a
problem. maybe console-tools? just a guess.

Again, if you've partially moved up to etch, you may have to complete
it to get back into a working state.

.02