Re: MP3 to AMR

Kum Gabor <kumgabor@kumgabor.hu> wrote:
> No. Which package I need? And how ro convert!

1) Add the repository at http://www.debian-multmedia.org/ by adding the
following line to /etc/apt/sources.list as root:

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ etch main

2) Add Christian Marillat's (repository maintainer) digital key by
running the following command as root:

# apt-key advanced --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 1F41B907

3) update your repository data:

# apt-get update

4) install ffmpeg command line tool:

# apt-get install ffmpeg

5) convert your file (as your regular user):

$ ffmpeg -i file.mp3 -ar 8000 -ac 1 -ab 7400 file.amr

This is an example only. I have never worked with the .amr format
before, and this is what I had to input for ffmpeg to successfully
convert an .mp3 file. Before that, it errored out a few times, saying
the AMR codec requires mono (-ac 1) and a sample rate of 8000 Hz (-ar
8000), and one of a certain list of bitrates (-ab 7400 (omit that
parameter and read the error message to get the list)). If you need to
tune additional parameters, read the documentation:

$ man ffmpeg

HTH,
Andrew

--
Andrew J. Barr

Woke up in my clothes again this morning,
don't know exactly where I am...