Re: Turning off the %^&* scroll wheel

Curt Howland wrote:

On Friday 22 June 2007, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> was heard to say:
The mouse/touchpad is controlled in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Look for a
Section "InputDevice" and if you see something like this:
then comment it out. That should get rid of the scrollwheel
behaviour.

Mr. Kaye, many thanks. Unfortunately, there is no such option in the two "mouse" related sections:

==========
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
EndSection

I tried reconfiguring and changing to imps rather than explorerps2, no change.

Is there another possibility?

--<snipped>--

Which of these two is actually used in the 'ServerLayout' section? Whichever it is, you could try switching it to the other and see what happens.

Or if both are there (as they are for my laptop) you could try commenting one out to see which is actually defining the wheel. Then edit the conf file to change the 'Option "Protocol"' for that device to be some other descriptor.

Another thought, based on output from 'gpm -t help', the imps name is not listed, but imps2 is. But it seems to include some sort of wheel functionality. So you might try a very basic interface, such as 'ps2' or 'fups2' (described as being used for 'broken' PS/2 mice).

Though the names are from gpm they should match names used by X11, since the two have to (and do in my experience) work together.

--
Bob McGowan