Re: elementay fax questions

20 Jun 2007 09:33:30 -0400, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com>:

For incoming faxes, the fax-modem must obviously discriminate between
analog voice and digital fax so that the phone rings with an incoming
voice message and does not with a fax. Can I assume this capability is now
present in all fax-modems, whether an external modem or an internal
card?

As far as I know, the ring is indistinguishable for fax or voice. Whoever
wants to know must pick up and listen to the line to know
what kind of signal it is. And even after that, most faxmodems
are not smart enough to know it is human voice or fax/modem signal.
They just assume the other sides are its peers and talk happily along.

Tim Yang