RE: BAD Error Installing new Apache2 & PHP?

A,

I'm slowly catching up on the learning curve. My sources list is:

#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

My general idea of a plan (remember, all this got started because
"vulnerabilities" were reported assoc with Apache & PHP) so far:

1. Change the sources.list to look for "sarge" instead of "stable" &
update/install apache2 & PHP pkgs. I guess it would be good to do
'apt-get clean' before this to "start over" with a new pkg cache...?

2. Check to see what versions of Apache & PHP this has given me. If this
solves the problem w/vulnerabilities, the rest is optional for now. From
what I've read, to really fix web server vulnerabilities you need to
step up to Etch.

3. Upgrade to the 2.6 kernel. I think the Etch installation guide
recommends this before going straight to 4.0.

4. Upgrade to Etch.

Sound reasonable?

I back up data files daily & several directories which probably contain
config files. Is there a list of the most common directories for config
data I could check against?

-Ron