Re: how to get a working .config kernel config file

yong lee wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to build a custom kernel with openMosix
patches for my debian 4.0 system. I copied an existing
config file from /boot/config-2.6.18-4-686 to my new
kernel source tree folder and renamed it to be
.config.  Then I ran 'make-kpkg kernel_image' to build
the kernel. But when I reboot with the new kernel, I
got a boot error.

I also ran the make menuconfig, but I did not know
what to choose because I do not know what type of
hardware my machine has. Can anyone suggest me on how
to get a working .config file ?  I just want a
simple/plain working .config file? Any suggestion ?
Any document or outline steps? Please help.

Try this

cp /boot/.config /usr/src/linux

Then when you load your kernel menu, go to load alternative config file. Then input the file name .config.

This should help!

Julian