Re: /etc is gone

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 07:58:13PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> j j wrote:
> >Hello
> >
> >I have been have trouble with my debian box(64 studio).  i just
> >discovered that /etc directory is missing.  I dont think i deleted it,
> >but it seems that I must have.
>

> Unless you have a backup you can restore, or can copy over an /etc from
> a fairly similar box, you're pretty much hosed. Time to re-install.

if the system is still up, and has .debs in the cache, can't he just
reinstall them all? Not much better than a full reinstall, but
maybe.

I wonder, is there some way to get a package to revert to its
installed state including reinstating any files that are missing from
the package? He'd lose his modified configs... but still.