Re: SSH 'hangs' during authentication

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 12:12:46 -0400, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2007-06-17T16:44:52+0200, "Jørgen P. Tjernø" wrote:
> > I'm having some issues with ssh taking about ~12 seconds to connect -
> > but the ssh session itself is snappy - no lag at all.
>
> [...]
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions? :-)
>
> It probably trying to do a forward or reverse DNS lookup.  Does it make
> a difference if you use an IP address intead of a hostname?

It might also help to use

ssh -o 'GSSAPIAuthentication no' ...

on the client

and/or to add

UseDNS no

to /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server. (I think the ssh daemon has to be
restarted for this to take effect.)

I had to do both these things to get rid of the initial delay for ssh
connections between my current desktop computer and my laptop. As far as
I can tell, this is because the two systems are on two separate internal
networks which do not offer full (reverse) DNS support for their
internal IP addresses. Maybe something similar is the case with you.

You can of course also put the "GSSAPIAuthentication no" option into
your ~/.ssh/config on the client.

          Florian   |