Re: Issues dist-upgrading Etch to Lenny - 1 week old

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 10:24:14AM -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On 6/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >

> >while this is annoying, its certainly the least of your problems. In
> >fact, I recommend you purge apt-listbugs until you fix the rest of
>

> OK, I did  that.
>
> you have a broken package and its been going on for months? that's not
> >good and could have repercussions throughout the system. eventually
> >these errors could propogate through all kinds of stuff.
>

> It's broken in the sense that it fails to retrieve the  bug lists, but I
> just  have ignored
> that for now. The "proxy" warning is something I have not yet found a fix
> for. So I just
> have been bypassing that step in my upgrade regimen.

I mean libgphoto2 is broken and not installing properly. that's what
those dpkg errors were.

> >apt-cache policy libgphoto2
>

> dfox@m206-157:~$ apt-cache policy libgphoto2-2
> libgphoto2-2:
>  Installed: 2.3.1-5
>  Candidate: 2.3.1-5
>  Version table:
> *** 2.3.1-5 0
>        500 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages
>        500 ftp://ftp.it.debian.org testing/main Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> and why do you have libgphoto2-2-dev installed? are you building
> >stuff?
>

> I was at one point, needed it. Right now, probably not.
>

> Again I recommend you remove libgphoto2 and the stuff that depends on
> >it. You can always reinstall it later. Then you can complete your
> >upgrade.
>

> Well, If I try that, I  get output that removing libgphoto2-2 wants to
> remove digikam (which I
> use) kamera, kde, and a slew of other things. I know kde is just a
> metapackage and I can
> install it later. Maybe that is what I'll do after I get a number of other
> tasks done first and can
> manage to get out of X, since removing KDE whilst using it is like pulling
> out the rug from under
> oneself :).

manage to get out of X? try ctrl-alt-f1, log in as root. execute
/etc/init.d/kdm stop, then do

aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade

when its done, you'll have a consistent testing system. Then you can
reinstall anything you think you want and restart X with
/etc/init.d/kdm start.

At least that's how I'd do it.

> >kdvi
> >> tetex-extra
> >
> >do you use tetex? specifically, do you use kdvi and tetex-extra?  if
> >not, then let them go.
>

> Actually, no I don't.  But I can't remove kdvi because of the dependency on
> kdegraphics (which I
> use) and that further dependson KDE, so that wants to remove docbook-utils,
> jadetex, kde &
> kdegraphics.

but your system already wants to remove the meta-packages kde and
kdegraphics as part of removing kdvi and tetex-extra. Follow? If you
read the output (working from memory now as its all snipped... sorry)
it doesn't want to take *everything*, just the meta packages and a
couple others.

> I have some questions for you:
> >
> >1. WHich desktop are you using?

> I use KDE. I have gnome and sfce4 installed - i was experimenting with them,
> and

I'm all for that. Trust me. I've got many many wm's installed and play
with them all the time. But right now you're having upgrade issues and
as I said before, its much easier to upgrade if you ahve fewer
packages.

[...]

> 3. How do you normally upgrade your system? In testing and unstable,
> >you should routinely be running dist-upgrades. There is a lot of
>

> I had mostly done aptitude update && aptitude upgrade, mostly once a
> week when I was running etch/testing. Once in a while doing a dist-upgrade
> helped something.

definitely *not* the way to run testing or unstable. use dist-upgrade
and use it a lot. I run it almost every day in sid. Especially when
we've got all this churn going on. sometimes I'm upgrading 100
packages a day...

And for the record, I just upgraded my wife's machine. It was
installed as etch just before release. I've dist-upgraded it regularly
(not quite daily as there wasn't need) and just two days ago I did the
two step from etch through testing and into sid. I probably should
have done it in one step and saved myself some bandwidth, but that's
another issue. What is important here is that its very doable. I was
able to do it with no breakage whatsoever (though there are some sid
packages being heldback at the moment, but that's normal for sid). The
transition from etch to testing was something like 600 packages and
then another 300 (lots of overlap) up to sid. You can have this
experience to, provided you let the package manager do what it needs
to do...