Re: Am I missing something in my understanding here?

Is the following line in /etc/network/interfaces :

auto eth0

If not, eth0 will only be brought up when manually instructed to do so with an ifup command.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl