Cursor problems

Periodically, my mouse cursor will turn black and/or pixelated, and I
haven't been able to find a reason for this or a fix other than to
restart X. It seems to happen most often when browsing with firefox
under KDE, but I see this behavior more often (and more randomly) under
Gnome.

So, two questions:

    1. Does anyone have any idea what's corrupting the cursor?

    2. Is there a way to fix it short of CTRL-ALT-BS?

This isn't a new problem for me, and has been a problem with Etch since
before it went stable, and continues to be a problem for me under Lenny.
Suggestions welcome.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"