Re: mdadm.conf and mkconf inconsistencies

also sprach Erik Bataller <erik@uhg.com> [2007.06.14.1156 +0100]:
> I'm having boot problems with my ubuntu box and I believe it is
> because of both the "race" condition associated with booting an md
> ( ubuntu bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/
> 75681 ) and (perhaps or) that my mdadm.conf and mkconf are
> inconsistent, i.e. different and mkconf reports two md0 partitions.

Please go and read the FAQ and README.recipes:

  http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-mdadm/mdadm/trunk/debian/README.recipes?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

the last item, #12, explains what you have to do with the array that
should be md1.

> *  It seems that every other time I boot my system won't boot and
>   a)  takes a long time to boot
>
>   b)  ends up at the initramfs prompt

It cannot find the root filesystem.

> 1)  How do I resolve the  inconsistencies between mdadm.conf and
> mkconf output?

See above.

> 2)  Can raid1 have 4 partitions, 3 active and 1 spare?  If so, how do
> I make the this so?

This is a question that's answered directly in the manpage:

  mdadm -Cl1 -n3 -x1 …

in the beginning was the word,
and the word was content-type: text/plain