Re: From FreeBSD 6 to Debian 4

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:27:54 +0200
"Philippe Lang" <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just installed a new Debian Etch server, supposed to replace a
> FreeBSD 6 server soon.
>
> There are a few things I miss on the Debian box, and I wonder if there
> is a way of having that on Debian too:
>
> ------------
> ------------
>
> 1) First of all, there is a nice feature under FreeBSD: on a shell,
> command history can be filtered with a few characters, when using the
> up arrow. For example, if you rember you restarted a deamon before,
> you can type "/etc/i" and then press the up arrow key. Only past
> command that start with "/etc/i" appear, like "/etc/init.d/apache2
> restart".

That is a feature of the shell you were using in FreeBSD. (The
default shell is csh, IIRC.) You can install and use the same shell in
Debian, if you wish. Or you can continue to use the default shell in
Debian, which is bash. The key combination ctrl-r will give you
behaviour like that which you describe above.

> ------------
> ------------
>
> 2) Under freebsd, ports can be checked against vulnerabilities with a
> simple command:
>
> --
> Portaudit -Fda
>
> If there is anything wrong, you get:
>
> server# portaudit -Fda
> auditfile.tbz                                 100% of   42 kB   62
> kBps New database installed.
> Database created: Fri Jun 15 09:10:07 CEST 2007
> Affected package: awstats-6.6
> Type of problem: awstats -- arbitrary command execution vulnerability.
> Reference:
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/2df297a2-dc74-11da-a22b-000c6ec7
> 75d9.html>
>
> 1 problem(s) in your installed packages found.
>
> You are advised to update or deinstall the affected package(s)
> immediately.
> --
>
> Is there that on debian too?

The approach in Debian is to synchronise the list of available packages
(and their versions, including security fixes) against a central
software repository. The administrator can then choose to upgrade
installed packages to their latest versions. It is possible to automate
some or all of this, and to arrange for notification in various ways.
See http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ for more information.

> 3) Under FreeBSD, you get every morning a security output email, that
> shows all particular events that happend the day before.

[...]

> Is there that on Debian too?

I've never used such a thing in Debian. I'm sure others on
this list are better placed to advise you.

--

Liam