Re: Basic SELinux Question

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 03:22:11PM -0600, Telly Williams wrote:
I was going to use an SE Linux mailing list for this, but, figured I'd ask on this list first, figuring that I may have a better chance of not getting a biased answer.

I've heard all of this "talk" about how secure SE Linux is. However, how secure can this thing be if it has been developed by the NSA? I mean, wouldn't THEY know how to get into your computer? And, it's the NSA! If this question sounds elementary, it's because I'm still learning how to secure my computer(s). I'm not a nihilist, just a little skeptical of how secure SEL is in reality (and the NSA). Thanks.

A reasonable question.
Unless you write your whole OS yourself, you have to trust someone.

Even if you write the OS, you have to trust the hardware
manufacturers.  If you construct your own hardware, you'll
need to make sure that you are personally attaching
every component to each card.  You'll also have to design
the chips, verify the firmware, etc, etc, ad nauseum.  You
have to rely on people you don't know.  There's
no way around it.