Re: install the driver in etch but couldn't find the directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/build

chloe K wrote:
> make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> I install the linux-source but what I lack of?

The build directory is a symlink that is installed if the source is
available.  If the source is not available then the kernel deb
postinst script removes the symlink.  There are ways to override this
behavior but generally it all works and does the right thing.

However installing the "linux-source-2.6.18" simply downloads and
installs the /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18.tar.bz2 file.  It does not
do anything else such as unpacking it.  Therefore it is not the same
as installing the linux-headers and does not create the build
symlink.  You would need to do that yourself if it is needed.

> Setting up linux-source-2.6.18 (2.6.18.dfsg.1-12etch2)

Simplest is to install the linux kernel headers.  The linux-headers
package will recreate the build symlink automatically in its post
install script.

  sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Bob