Re: splitting tar files and zero padding

On 06/12/2007 11:09 PM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
hello,

Hello Michael.

my goal is to eliminate (or split out) the last file from a tar
archive, and i'm having trouble understanding the extra bytes added
and zero padding that is done to tar files.  let me illustrate what
i'm doing.
[...]

but the bigger concern is why do 1k files have 536 extra bytes, but
100k files have 864 extra bytes?  is there a linear relation?  and how
can i automate the process of splitting out the last file in the tar
archive?

What is the larger problem that you're trying to solve?

Why can't you just use the tar utility (man tar) to do this?