Re: FW: Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 "Etech" - could not setup syslog

On 06/13/2007 01:43 AM, Kuruvilla, Chindu wrote:
[...]
The sysklogd.conf is supposed to contain the term (SYSLOG=" ") which
needs to be converted to (SYSLOG="r -m0") since that command sets syslog
to listen remotely & put marks.
Now the sysklog.conf does not contain the above term & I put the term
manually in the file & saved it. But after I restarted the daemon, I did
a netstat & the system does not listen for remote notifications (udp
514).
[...]

Don't put your telephone number and workplace address in public messages that are to be archived forever on the Internet.

Sysklogd.conf does not exist. You must be talking about /etc/init.d/sysklogd . Take a look at "man syslogd"; the command line parameter you're probably interested in is "-r", and you don't want "-m0" because that disables marks.

So I think you would edit /etc/init.d/sysklogd so that the line that reads «SYSLOGD=""» is changed to «SYSLOGD="-r"» .

You would then have to restart the logging daemon:
/etc/init.d/sysklogd restart