Re: FW: Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 "Etech" - could not setup syslog

Kuruvilla, Chindu:

> Most forums & documents recommend using a Linux box is best for setting up a
> syslog since it has the syslog daemon built-in. I decided to use the most
> recent release(4.0 r0 “Etech”)

It's called "Etch" (without the additional 'e'), but well.

> & I could not setup the syslogd process as the
> contents of the sysklogd does not correspond with what is given in the forums.

You didn't say which forum, but you have to keep in mind that Debian
handles some things a little bit different from other linux
distributions or other Unix systems.

> The sysklogd.conf is supposed to contain the term (SYSLOG=” “) which needs to
> be converted to (SYSLOG=”r –m0”) since that command sets syslog to listen
> remotely & put marks.

Since this is a command line parameter for syslogd (not sysklogd), you
have to specify it in /etc/default/syslogd. There's even a comment about
what you need to do in that file.

> Please suggest a solution or let me know if you need any other info as I need
> this setup as soon as possible. I’m going to try the same with 3.1 r5 “Sarge” &
> see if it’s going to work. I’ll let you know if it works/doesn’t work.

It's the same with sarge, I guess. So don't bother.

J.
--
Atrocities committed in Rwanda pervade my mind when I am discussing
mundanities with acquaintances.