Re: Enable SNMP read-only on routers for network monitoring

rocky wrote:
Hey,

I'm following the tutorial on http://www.aboutdebian.com/monitor.htm.
It says to configure the MRTG to monitor the router traffic, I need to
have read-only SNMP enabled on target routers. Our office does not use
Cisco routers. We are using TL-R478+ which is a chinese brand. We
manage the router by going to http://192.168.1.1. I do not see
anything indication SNMP. I checked on the manufecture's website and
could not find any clue. Can any of you tell me how can I get read-
only SNMP enabled on our office's router please?

Not all routers support SNMP. Typically cheaper DSL router that are found do not support this sort of thing. It is possibly to create a script or something to talk to the router to read the counters and get it to be called by mrtg though.

If your manufactur supports SNMP it should say so in the product spec. Another thing would also be the lack of good SNMP support in the cheap routers that do support it. The only ones i know that will support SNMP is cisco.