Grateful for the floppy install!

I was trying to do a fresh install of etch using the net-install
cdrom, but my cdrom drive kept flaking out.  I figured that I'd have
to install a new drive, but then I remembered that Debian can be
installed from floppies -- or at least it could in the past.  But was
the new version of Debian too big to be installable from floppies?

I checked and found you can still install the current stable Debian
from floppies.  I downloaded the floppy images, copied them to
floppies, and did a net install. Now I have a working machine and I
didn't have to install a new cdrom drive.  And since the only thing I
ever use cdroms for is installing Debian, I got away without having to
change my hardware.

Many thanks to the people who create the Debian installer for floppies!

--
Lance Simmons