Re: did my message get through?

On 06/10/2007 05:02 PM, Zach wrote:
[...]
I just upgraded my kernel in Debian testing release from 2.4.27 to
2.6.18 and ran into some problems I would appreciate help with.

I built the kernel from the Debian kernel source package which has
some bug fixes and patches not found in the upstream (official) kernel
sources but I asked around and these don't seem to be related to my
problems. I built the .config from scratch (took 3.5 hours).
Total time for the kernel project was 9 hours heh!

Problem 1:
Since devfs has been replaced by udev (dynamic device naming) there is
no longer a /dev/ttyS0 for my serial modem.

On my Etch system, with udev, /dev/ttyS0 exists. I see that you have "# CONFIG_SERIAL_8250 is not set" in your .config (line 987 of <http://pastebin.ca/557205>). That would explain the missing device entry.

Also this was symlinked to
/dev/modem and that device is also no longer present in 2.6.18. Do I
just need to change /var/lib/setserial/autoserial.conf so it uses
/dev/tty0? How can I create a /dev/modem block device?

Don't do that. /dev/tty0 is definitely not right for the serial modem. You can either learn about creating udev rules, or you can create a startup script that creates the desired symbolic link in /dev.

Or you can do what I did: create another directory for persistent devices, e.g. /usr/local/dev, and put your specialized device nodes and symbolic links there. Mknod is useful for this (man mknod).

Problem 2:
Something weird is happening with my CDROM.

[...]
Jun  8 16:02:38 netrek kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Jun  8 16:02:38 netrek kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Jun  8 16:02:38 netrek kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete

However when I removed the file in /tmp and copied it over again this
time it worked instantaneously as it should. So i think my ide/ATAPI
is setup wrong but the .config has so many options i'm not sure which
ones i may have set wrong, I can send you my kernel .config if that would help.
[...]

Configuring 2.6 kernels was one of the most complicated things I'd ever done before I got smart and began tweaking the default .config. There are many things that one can forget, and many parts of the kernel have complicated dependencies and relationships to one another.

Try to get a Debian stock kernel running on your system first, then tweak it to your liking and build an optimized kernel if you like. Probably you left something out of the kernel that allows for motherboard and/or ide reliability.

Also, try to present only a single issue per help query. Your post is too big and complicated, and so I'll stop reading here.