Re: reorder files with a mouse in a file browser and rename them

H.S. wrote:
Hello,

This may be a little odd question. Can any of the file browsers (konqueror, nautilus) let a user reorder the files in a folder by dragging them to a certain position and then to rename the ordered files automatically with a file pattern?

This problem arose because I have a few hundred of images which are jumbled up in time order. I have seen a friend do something similar in XP's Windows Explorer. I am hoping it can be done in Linux too in some way: order the image files by dragging them to their position in the file browser and to run a script on the newly ordered files to rename them numerically in that order.

thanks,
->HS

Just in case all the images have EXIF information in them, the task can be done quite easily with exiv2. Looking at the exiv2 man page I found the following in the EXAMPLES section:

      exiv2 rename img_1234.jpg
Renames img_1234.jpg (taken on 13-Nov-05 at 22:58:31) to 20051113_225831.jpg

       exiv2 -r’:basename:_%Y%m’ rename img_1234.jpg
              Renames img_1234.jpg to img_1234_200511.jpg

This may not be a solution to the particular problem, but with EXIF and exiv2 ordering a bunch of images is quite easy.

/KS