Re: what wants to remove gcc?

On 06/10/07 13:10, Rick Pasotto wrote:
On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 11:20:04AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/10/07 10:43, Rick Pasotto wrote:
On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 08:51:39AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/10/07 08:23, Rick Pasotto wrote:
Currently 'apt-get upgrade' wants to upgrade 289 packages. Rather
than do them all at once, I like to do smaller groups packages.
It will save you time by running "# apt-get -d -y upgrade" while you
go eat breakfast.  Once all the packages are downloaded, run "#apt-get
upgrade" interactively.
The -d option is a good idea but my main question still has not been
answered. What wants to *remove* gcc and why?
If this were happening to me, and I *really* cared, I'd use a binary search algorithm to narrow it down.

Huh? Every individual package I've tried to upgrade wants to remove gcc
yet the whole collection does not.

Also, what does it mean to run "apt-get upgrade" *interactively*?
Huh?  How *else* do you run "apt-get upgrade"?

If there is no other way or if you mean in the normal way then the
modifier "interactively" is redundant and only causes confusion.

It's *absolutely* possible to run apt-get non-interactively.

Put this in root's crontab to run at 02:00 -
    apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade

Highly *not* recommended, though.

<SUSPICIOUSLY>
You don't run "apt-get upgrade" blindly thru cron, do you?
</SUSPICIOUSLY>

When I run 'rm -i' it prompts before each removal. *That's* what
"interactively" means to me.

Yup... :)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.