Re: Installing new kernel on dual boot grub system

On 6/11/07, Gary L. Roach <garyroach@verizon.net> wrote:
I have a Toshiba Qosmio G25 that comes with windows XP installed. I used
the newest Etch installer to load Debian onto the 2nd harddrive. This
worked reasonably well. Grep was installed in the /MBR of the first  (XP)
disk. All this worked fine. Then I decided that I wanted to customize the
kernel and use the latest stable version from the Linux web site. I have
done this with LILO, on another system, many times. I have never used Grub
before.

I have read everything I can find on Grub and now am totally confused. All
the instructions are slanted towards initial installation and do not match
what is installed in my system. My /boot contains the following:
        config-2.6.18-4-686
        grub   (directory)
        initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
        System.map-2.6.18-4-686
        vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686

Questions:
        1. Does the config file normally end up in this directory or do you have
to cp the .config from the /usr/src/linux-xxx directory.

AFAIK, the config-* file is only there for your reference.

        2. Where did the initrd.img file come from. I couldn't find it in
/usr/src/linux-xx.
        3. The System.map-xxx file has no link to a System.map file as in LILO. Is
this normal or is it that I only have one linux kernel installed.
        4. If I type in grub and get grub> , what do I do to install the new
kernel and still keep the vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686 kernel.

Building a .deb package from the kernel sources is the easiest way.

Most of the Debian instructions seem to assume that you are using a .deb
file for installation. This is something I never do for the kernel. I
always go to the Linux web site to get the latest release. Some one needs
to write a Grub HOWTO that is more informative. I would do it but obviously
don't have the necessary knowledge.

There's a debian kernel handbook at
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ which you should go through.
Short version: install kernel-package and use make-kpkg to build a
.deb from the pristine kernel.org sources if that's what you want.

The menu.lst changes seems to be a straight forward text editing job. Right ?

Installing the kernel from a make-kpkg created .deb will do that for
you automagically.

All help will be appreciated.

--
Kushal