Re: need kernel help (2.6)

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 09:25:50PM -0400, Zach wrote:
> On 6/9/07, Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
> >Why build from source?  What do you need that the binary kernel images
> >don't provide?
>
> Hi Roberto,
>
> I wanted a leaner and faster kernel and I wanted my sound card
> supported at kernel level.
> Also it was learning experience.

Fair enough.

> >Strange.  My udev-based Etch system has a /dev/ttyS0 present.  Have you
> >modified anything in your udev configuration?
>
> I have never used udev before and don't even know how to modify it !
> :) I think I must have done something wrong in my kernel .config, can
> I send it to you?
>
> >That could indicate a damaged CD or failing drive.  What is the output
> >of 'hdparm /dev/hdc' and also 'hdparm -i /dev/hdc'?
>
> But this does not happen in my 2.4.27 kernel, I get no such error
> messages and when I cp file from my CD drive in 2.4.27 it is
> instantaneously and does not take the 40 seconds to do it the first
> time as happens in 2.6.18, again I think this is problem in my .config
> but it is so big I am not sure what part needs fixed. My friend said
> maybe I did not enable support for
> the 8250 serial driver, do you know how I can enable this in my
> .config? And if I must recompile how can i tell make to read in my old
> .config but then let me change it and save changes before proceeding
> with kernel compile?

Let me encourage you then to install a stock kernel image first and get
everything working with that.  The 2.4 -> 2.6 transition is a big one.
Best eliminate as many variables as possible.  Once everything is
working properly under 2.6, then you can go ahead and start working on a
custom kernel.

Regards,

-Roberto
--