Re: problems with totem (SOLVED!)

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 14:52 -0400, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

> Marcelo Chiapparini <chiappa@oi.com.br> wrote:
>
> > didn't know about vlc. I went to its web page and I liked its
> > functionality. So I decided to give vlc a try... things went equal as
> > with totem, I have audio but not video in vlc, I tried with mpd, wmv
> > and avi files...
> >
> > Apparently my problem is not with totem itself or vlc themselves...
>
> Please try either player using the standard XPutImage driver--e.g.
> disable Xvideo--and tell us what that does. Usually the video
> output driver is called "x11" or "xshm". VLC should have GUI for this,
> in Totem you can change the output in ~/.gnome2/totem_config for the
> xine-lib version, or using the GNOME control center application for the
> Gstreamer version.

Andrew,

After your suggestion, I decided to learn about Xvideo and ATI Radeon
cards. What I found, after googling a bit, is that the XV_SWITCHCRT
attribute of Xv must be changed from 0 to 1. To accomplish that, after
installed xvattr, it must me run in the followin way:

xvattr -a XV_SWITCHCRT -v 1

Now totem runs like a charm!! The same with VLC and the default video
output module!

The problem with the XV_SWITCHCRT attribute value 0 instead the correct
1, is a common place with many ATI Radeon cards...

Thank you very much for pointed me to the Xvideo stuff

Regards

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini