Re: Aptitude wants to remove OpenOffice.org

Hi Daniel,

On 6/9/07, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:

aptitude will try to remove packages that it thinks you don't need any
more.  Usually it gets this right, but sometimes it guesses wrong.  When
it does, just cancel the removals and it will understand that you really
want that software.  You can tell because the "A" (for "automatic") next
to the software will disappear.  Press "m" (lowercase "m") to do this on
packages that aren't going to be removed. [0]

  You can cancel the removals by selecting the packages and pressing "+"
or ":", or from the command-line by running "keep-all", or, if you're
feeling adventurous and you're at an aptitude prompt, by typing ":~M~g".
But you probably don't want to do the last one; I just included it to
show off.

Thanks for the advice. I've read the aptitude manual, but still have to learn
a lot. Tips & Trick are always welcome and sooner or later I'll get used to it.
Today I've successfully removed OOo (rpm) and installed the Etch backport
of OOo 2.2.0 using aptitude.

Greetings, Manon.