Re: Aptitude wants to remove OpenOffice.org

Manon Metten wrote:
> The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>  openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-draw
>  openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-writer
>
> So I went into aptitude, searched for openoffice and manually set these
> packages to Keep. Is this common behavior or have I done something wrong?

This is documented in the release notes:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-handle-conflict

  To prevent aptitude from removing some packages that were pulled in
  through dependencies, you need to manually unmark them as auto
  packages. This includes OpenOffice and Vim for desktop installs:

       # aptitude unmarkauto openoffice.org vim

  And 2.6 kernel images if you have installed them using a kernel
  metapackage:

       # aptitude unmarkauto $(dpkg-query -W 'kernel-image-2.6.*' | cut
       # -f1)

  Note: You can review which packages are marked as auto in aptitude by
  running:

       # aptitude search 'i~M <package name>'

Bob