Re: Install windows with debian problem

i find some people saying to use dd_rescue, but i don't if dd_rescue works with NTFS partition.
Does anyone know?

On 6/7/07, Telly Williams < TWilliams001@elp.rr.com> wrote:
Thiago Santos Faria Xavier Teixeira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have windows in my new laptop and i want to install debian with
> windows, but my machine has only one
> partition. So i installed the partition magic software to create a new
> partition to install linux without losing my
> windows. But the partition magic did not create the partition
> (exhibited some errors) and now the start of windows fail.
> i want to  know if my data are lost? there is some (linux) tool to
> recover my data? does anyone had the same problem?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Thiago,

    The exact same thing happened to me.  I was never able to start
windows up again.  If you google your problem, you'll see that this same
incident happened to many others.  I ended up losing everything (I
backed up my important files prior).  If you don't find the answer, just
suck it up, reinstall windows, THEN install Debian.  I had a 50/50
Windows/Debian installation for about 2 weeks before I decided to take
the plunge and just use my entire hard drive for Debian.  I hesitated
doing this because of Quicken, but, then I discovered GnuCash.  Get rid
of partition magic (unless you figure it out and it works for you).

Telly