Re: I want to install lenny from scratch

On 6/7/07, arijit <arijit.2612@gmail.com> wrote:

 On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 20:16 +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
 After you've finished the installation, edit your
/etc/apt/sources.list file and make the entries there point to lenny
instead of etch.  Follow that up with an aptitude update and an
aptitude dist-upgrade to upgrade to the newer packages in lenny.

Before you do that, however, you should take a look through the debian
reference manual and note the difference between the 'stable'
(currently etch) and 'testing' (currently lenny) distributions.

The reference is linked from the www.debian.org home page.

--
Kushal

  Ok, here's my 'sources.list'

 deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main
 deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-2 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main
 deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-3 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main

You can remove these DVD entries if you're going to use only the
mirrors.  Use the apt-cdrom program to add them again if you need them
later.

 deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
 deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

 deb http://www.dedale.eu.org/mirror/debian-multimedia/ stable main
 deb-src http://www.dedale.eu.org/mirror/debian-multimedia/ stable main

 deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian etch non-free [contrib main]
 deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian etch non-free [contrib main]

 so my guess, BOLD texts are to be replaced with "testing" (last 4 lines)
 also, contrib main should be appended in last two lines as i have shown.
 Then i'll do the update. Am I correct?

Pretty much yes.  You might want to replace with 'lenny' instead of
testing, so that things will be smoother when lenny is released, but
there is some time for that, I think. :-)

 shall I delete first 5 lines from my 'sources.list' ?

PS: Please don't send debian-user mail off-list.

--
Kushal