Re: printer setup

> I've tried cups but it asks for a user name and password but does not
> accept mine and I have to cancel out of cups. I assume that since I'm
> not on line this option will nt work.

You would need to use the root user, and the root password.  Go to
http://localhost:631, and, when asked, use root, and not your regular
user.

Other stuff you could try:  install the package printconf, and then, in
the terminal (or konsole, if using kde), as root, run the command
printconf.  This should set up your printer.

If no luck still, search synaptic for stuff for your printer.  There
are various HP drivers that can be found.  See descriptions for
the following packages:  hpijs, hpijs-ppds, hp-ppd, hpoj, and
foomatic-filters-ppds (this one is a big file that includes drivers
for most printers that work on Linux -- you probably won't need this,
as the hp specific packages should work).  Whichever package
sounds like the right one for your brand of HP printer,
install (and if none of them are right, then just go for
foomatic-filters-ppds.  Afterword, try either cups via
http://localhost:631 again, or printconf, and you should have a working
printer.

Mark