Re: backup script modification help

On 6/4/07, Wackojacko <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com> wrote:
Haines Brown wrote:
> I use cron to do a periodic full backup to an external USB drive that
> I've named "mirror". The script used is:
>
> find / -print | egrep -v "^/media/mirror|^/proc" | cpio -pdmuv
> /media/mirror/"$1" 2>&1 | cat -vt
>
> Since installing Etch, this script has not worked well because it does
> not like to backup the /sys directory. Actually, backing up /sys
> dangerous). So I'd like to modify the script to block cpio from doing
> /sys as it avoids /proc, but not sure how. Help would be appreciated.

Try backup2l.  Very simple backup script that automates this for you and
makes incremental daily backups.

I recommend rdiff-backup. It does incremental backups. It is easy to use
and has powerful statistics displaying functions. I personally use it.

It is in the repository so easy to install. There is detailed document and
sample commands on its Website http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

--
Cheers,
Wei