Re: hotplugging ide harddrive

On 06/04/07 10:28, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:55:05 -0500

You can plug a raw drive directly into a running system? I don't believe you.

Some Thinkpads, some laptops, can do this.

As Douglas says, IDE doesn't support hot-swapping.

It wasn't designed that way, no, but some laptop vendors have figured
out ways to support it, and AFAIK Linux *does* support these methods.
If I'm not mistaken, ACPI even is a cross-vendor generic method of
this. Look at the documentation of hdparm, and in the case of Thinkpads
there was a kernel module called lt_hotswap, although I think that's
now superseded by thinkpad_acpi and/or generic ACPI bay support.

With any 2.5" drive, or only drives certified by Lenovo?

Besides, laptops only have 1 hard drive, no?

How to do with debian ? Any idea ?
With USB or Firewire enclosures.  Piece of cake.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA