Re: SOLVED: custom usb install image

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 12:04:03PM -0500, nicholas wrote:
> I finally figured out how to make a Debian USB installer image with
> a size other than 256MB. This may seem obvious to some, but no one
> suggested it when I asked, so here goes:
>
>  echo 'deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main'
>  >>/etc/apt/sources.list
>  apt-get update
>  apt-get -y install dpkg-dev
>  apt-get source debian-installer
>  cd debian-installer-20070308
>  dpkg-checkbuilddeps
>  apt-get install -y debhelper grep-dctrl bc debiandoc-sgml libbogl-dev
>  glibc-pic libslang2-pic \
>   libnewt-pic genext2fs mklibs mkisofs dosfstools syslinux tofrodos mtools
>   bf-utf-source
>  dpkg-checkbuilddeps
>  cd build
>  sed -i 's/244736/489472/;s/239/478/;s/256/512/' config/amd64/hd-media.cfg
>  make build_hd-media
>  zcat dest/hd-media/boot.img > /dev/sda

Wow that's long and involved.  I just create the partition like the
long-instructions in the manual, mount it, mount the boot.img file, and
copy the contents to the new using mc.  Then run the mbr program
(whatever it's called) to make the USB bootable.  Don't need any -dev
stuff, or anything, just the dosfs (to make the vfat filesystem) and the
mbr program.

Doug.