Re: [linuxone@intergate.com: Re: gps and linux?]

On 6/1/07, Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com> wrote:

Matt Price(moptop99@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> hi,
>
> i'm about to take off on a long road trip through the us and am
> planning the technological elements.  I'm looking for advice on
> purchasing a gps unit.  If possible, i'd love to get something that
> ran Free software, or was at least intercompatible with my debian &
> ubuntu based machines.  we will probably have a laptop hooked up for
> watching video/playing music, and could either run a gps card off of
> that laptop or have a standalone unit, whichever seems to be a better
> idea.  the set up has to be usable not just by me but by my nongeek
> family members.  has anyone done this/have a suggestion?

Matt

  I just finished testing a new GPS unit I just received so your timing
  is right on.

  How about a USB based GPS that mounts on the roof of the car (with
  its own magnet), requires no batteries, is waterproof, has a 20
  channel receiver, is WAAS enabled, has a USB to Serial adapter
  built in, and uses a driver built into the 2.6.18 kernel.  In
  addition to that is runs with Debian software.  ie gpsd, kismet,
  gpsdrive, and roadnav.  In addition it works with Delorme Topo and
  Streetmap 2008.

  I ran a comparison of it with my Magellan SportTrak Map.  Inside
  the house the Magellan can't get a lock but this (GlobalSat BU-353)
  got a lock on 4 Sat's when in the same position.  Hung in a window
  the BU-353 got 7-8 Sat's to 4-5 for the Magellan.  Very impressive
  and was less then 1/4 the price of the Magellan.

  After a lot of research I got it on Amazon.  Lowest price &
  Shipping.  Ordered on line on Monday night and arrived today by USPS.
  It was tested on a Thinkpad T40 running Debian testing and a desktop
  with Windbloz XP.

that does seem really cool.  have you tried it in a car yet?  can you
do any kind of routing & are there POI databases available anywhere?
i probably need something along those lines to satisfy my family's
desires.  but even if this device doesn't have those features, i
mightget one -- they look very cheap and it'd be fun to experiment
with!
thanks,

matt

  <http://www.buygpsnow.com>

  :-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

  Wayne

Sorry for the forward Matt but I see it didn't make it to the list so
thought you would want to get it.

--
         Linux helps those who help themselves