Printers won't run

Greetings;

I have two printers. I set both of them up using the Add Printer Wizard
in/from Gnome.

I have printed test pages but they are stuck in the queue with a status of job-stopped.

The first printer is a windows printer, HP Deskjet 6540, IP connected, and all of my windows computers can send to it just fine. Just not my Debian Etch.

The second printer has the same problem. It is a local USB connected Epson Stylus CX7800. It worked on this computer in it's previous incarnation as a Win 2k machine.

The HP will eventually change to a Stopped state, and I can't resume it.
I assume this has something to do with it being a shared network printer.

I have poked around and can't find any error messages. The status commands that I have found don't tell me anything I don't know already.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Where can I jab something to get an status/info/error message that will get me started on solving this problem?

Many TIA,
Dennis