Re: Lightweight RTF Editor in Debian?

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 08:17:33PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 09:45:08AM -0400, Juergen Fiedler wrote:
> >
> > I have been looking for a lightweight RTF text editor for Lenny for
> > quite a while now. Currently, I am using AbiWord, but all the
> > dependencies on Gnome libraries are somewhat unpleasant (I'm using
> > FluxBox as my WM). I have tried Ted, but I can't even get it to open a
> > document. Are there any other lightweight editors that speak RTF?
> >

> What about latex2rtf for outputing rtf and wv, catdoc, or unrtf to get latex?

I'd considered that, but I think having to install Latex to create
documents when all my boss wants is page breaks, centered text and
different font sizes runs counter to my intention to keep it as small
as possible.

> I suppose the question is, in what way do you create non-rtf documents
> and can that method also work with rtf?

There's a thought. I create my 'regular' text files in vim, and it
looks like RTF is a text based markup language. Maybe I could just
learn to write it directly.

> Searching aptitude, re Ted it says that "going the other way" i.e.
> opening existing documents is more difficult.

I'm not surprised. But I can't even start a new document in Ted. Still
no idea what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
 -Juergen