Installing Etch on a VME PPC CPU Board

After running the default install from SCSI CDROM on an MVME2700-3361 the GUI will not start. It fails with “No screens found.”

The video card is a Motorola MPMC301 with a Cirrus Logic GD5446 chip. I’ve tried two of the MPMC301.

I’ve used an MVME2604-1361 with the MPMC301 VGA card and an MVME4604-5461 with an on-board VGA chip and they have the same error.

Is there a way to get the boot process to skip the IDE probe, the board is booting from the SCSI port and hangs for several minutes while trying to look at the IDE hardware which I don’t think is there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bill