Re: console keymap and console-setup

On 2007-05-30, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

> Before "dvorak-classic" became a standard offering in Debian, the
> approach which I used was to execute the command:
>
>     # install-keymap dvorak-classic.kmap.gz
>
> sometime during installation and configuration of the system --
> usually at the first opportunity.

Ok, so I ran

install-keymap /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/custom.kmap

and then rebooted.

The keymap was not installed, and I got the same problems as usual.
However, I then ran

loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/custom.kmap

and got the proper keymap going. I took a look at
/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz and it looks like the right file, so I'm
not sure what is wrong.

> Thereafter, when you boot the system, your custom keymap should be in
> effect.  No other configuration is required.  See the man page for
> install-keymap.

Maybe there should be see-also link to this from the loadkeys
manpage...

Thanks,

Tyler