X locks up/freezes the system when switching to console and back

Debian Etch Stable system running minimal X with fluxbox/blackbox.

When switching to console ttys and then back, most of the time, as
soon as I go back to X, the system just freezes and refuses to respond
to anything and I have to reset using the reset button. What might be
causing this? How can I trace the problem?

This does not happen if I am just working in console. It only happens
if I switch to tty consoles even for a minute and then back to X ...
btw, just had to do that just now too.

Any help appriciated.

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.