Re: obsolete packages

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 07:54:15AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

I'm running Sid.
What's the way to find out what packages are obsolete and what they should be replaced with?

Your question is pretty vague. What do you mean by obsolete?

AFAIK if you remove etch and lenny from sources.list all packages that are not available in sid anymore will be listed by aptitude as 'Obsolete or locally created packages'.

For packages that are obsolete/orphaned ... and going to be removed you can also watch debian-news. Sometimes you can even find recommendations for replacing it in the package description or bug reports.

Probably because the idea I have is vague ;-)
Here goes the idea:
I install Sid from scratch periodically (like yesterday...) using a script, after generating my own repository of packages.
That script has in it:
apt-get -qq install tetex-bin
but recently Sid moved to texlive that has no similar package. So eventually I need to change that script line to something else. I was looking for something that would say: 'tetex-bin now replaced by xyz'. Maybe that does not exist.

The reason for the script approach is that installed systems grow and after a while an installation has to much stuff (TM). I used the script (with constant tinkering and adjusting) on Feb. 2 on /sda5 and yesterday on /sda1. Result: df shows sda1 at 31% and sda5 at 52%! And they are essentially the same with the same Sid in the same setup.

Hugo