Re: sound gone; was opening and ejecting a DVD

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 06:30:35PM -0700, peasthope@cablelan.net wrote:
> There is no sound from any application.
>
> lspci finds the USB controller and lsusb finds the
> C-media USB sound device.  The sound device manager
> in xfce4 now finds only the on-board Intel sound device.
> Even Skype, which has never failed before, fails to recognize
> the C-media device.  No application produces any sound
> from any device.
>
> The only change I recall since sound worked is that I
> used tightvncserver in place of xfce4.

Do you have all the alsa packages installed, have run alsaconf, and used
alsamixer to unmute everything and raise the volume?

I would suggest doing all that from the command line with X not running
to remove one huge variable.  Find a .wav file and play it with aplay to
verify that it works.  A command-line CD player is also helpful; I use
cdplay.

Only once the command-line tools give you sound do you then turn to
getting X apps to use sound.

Doug.