apache auth pgsql

I would like to set up my auth mechanism for apache through postgresql.

I picked up the .deb for it. But I'm not sure about the .htpassword idea.

I currently use a flat file for authentication.
I loaded it under the default virtual host as follows (I'm not sure that this is the best place to put it, but it works and yes I want the entire site to be protected.

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

    DocumentRoot /var/www/
    <Directory />
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Just Email"
        AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/justemail_passwd
        Require valid-user

Is this enabling of postgres authentication just a matter of replacing these Auth related directives herein with the relevant directives for PSQL?