Re: running qemu on an AMD64 box to host Windows 98......

Dear Debianists,

I am emailing to thank people for helping me with qemu....

Windows 98 installed reasonably OK on qemu on my AMD64 machine......

There is one small problem which may reflect my newness to qemu.

Once I had installed Windows 98, I then tried to load some software on to it from a CD.

I tried to do it within Windows 98 by going to the Mycomputer folder and looking for the CD icon and clicking on it as you would if you running Windows 98 natively and then copy the program to the hard disk and install it.....

But the problem was that the CD was not recognized as a device by Windows 98......

I didn't get any problem with the Windows 98 installation disk however it was qemu not Windows that sorted out reading that CD at the outset I think as far as I could tell anyway....

Of course Linux underneath produced an icon for the CD pronto.......

Could I use Linux to copy the Windows program exe files etc to the Windows fake partition created by qemu and then go into Windows under qemu and then get it to install the software?

Or are you not supposed to do it that way?

Your comments are appreciated.

Michael Fothergill

Could you be the guest MSN Movies presenter? Click Here to Audition http://www.lightscameraaudition.co.uk