Re: why linux?

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 10:34:54PM -0400, S C wrote:
> Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote: On Wed, May 23, 2007 at
> 01:45:32PM -0400, S C  was heard to say:

>> I tried both using the Debian installation and a live Kubuntu disc
>> but the memory stick I have doesn't seem to want to cooperate.
>
> Yet.  Eventually, what it "wants"  will be immaterial.

So this is a jumping-off point on a new problem.  You have a USB stick
that you can't get to work.

What gets added to /var/log/syslog when you plug in the stick?  It
_should_ get assigned a /dev/sd* device node which you can then mount.
Note that I've never used a desktop environment to know how something
like hal handles this.

<humour>
When I installed Hal, the computer kept asking me if I wanted to play a
game.  No.  I did want to play a CD.

Open the drive bay door Hal.
Open the bay door Hal.

It also insisted on calling me Dave.