Re: I don't understand the new aptitude

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <8nyxz-H7-7@gated-at.bofh.it>, Dan H wrote:

> (...and I just noticed I had to copy that by hand because aptitude
> --and only aptitude!-- seems to disallow copying text from the xterm
> it's running in! What kind of sadism is that?)

Some applications use the alternate screen in an xterm,
and once they're in it they take over the mouse.
slrn and vim do that, for example.  In those two, holding
the shift key disengages their hold on the mouse,
so you can use it for xterm select and paste.
Try shift and see if your xterm behaves better.

Vim integrates the mouse into the vi visual edit
cursor motion commands.  But on top of that it's
also doing its own peculiar select and paste.
(This is if you set mouse=a.)
Took me a while to get the hang of it.
It's not your father's vi, as they say.

Cameron