vim: taglist / ctags on debian

Hello,

 I am trying to use taglist on my debian box. Instead of getting the
script directly from:

 I used the debian package:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/editors/vim-scripts

 Unfortunately there is no documentation on how to install them. For
instance for taglist you are supposed to do:

2. Change to the $HOME/.vim/doc or $HOME/vimfiles/doc or $VIM/vimfiles/doc
   directory, start Vim and run the ":helptags ." command to process the
   taglist help file. Without this step, you cannot jump to the taglist help
   topics.

 Here is what I did:

cd /usr/share/vim-scripts/doc
vim

then from vim

:helptags .

which return:

E152: Cannot open ./tags for writing

Of course I can run the command as root, but is it going to work for
my user than ?

Thanks,
--
Mathieu