Re: Read OpenXML Excel file in OpenOffice.org?

On 5/22/07, Dusty Wilson <dusty@hey.nu> wrote:
On 5/22/07, Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 12:39 -0700, Dusty Wilson wrote:
> > I have data that was exported from MySQL Query Browser to what appears
> > to be an OpenXML-formatted Excel document.  I can't seem to get
> > OpenOffice.org to open it.  Do you guys know how to go about opening
> > this document?
> >
> > I'm sure I could have MySQL Query Browser export in a different
> > format, but I have a few other documents that appear to be in the same
> > format that I'd also like to open.
>
> What version of MySQL? Are you querying a MySQL DB? I doubt it is
> OpenXML, unless you are getting it from some kind of a Microsoft
> product.

$ mysql-query-browser --version
Gnome mysql-query-browser 1.2.5beta

And I forgot to mention that I'm querying a MySQL DB as well.  I don't
use Microsoft products on my workstations or my laptops and definitely
not on my servers (or anywhere else if I can help it).

> If it is truly OOXML then you get to open it with a Microsoft Product.

The first few lines of the file look like this:

---
$ head boxtypes.xls
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Workbook xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet"
 xmlns:x="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel"
 xmlns:ss="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet"
 xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";>
 <Worksheet ss:Name="Table1">
  <Table>
---

I don't know my MS file formats, but it's XML and isn't binary, so
that lead me to believe it was OpenXML, though I may be wrong, of
course.  Neither OOo or Gnumeric are willing to open it.

FYI:

$ openoffice --version
This is OpenOffice.org built with ooo-build-2.0.4.9
$ gnumeric --version
gnumeric version '1.6.3'
datadir := '/usr/share/gnumeric/1.6.3'
libdir := '/usr/lib/gnumeric/1.6.3'