Re: size of partitions worries me

Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi folks,
> I've managed to install debian etch on my amd64 system
> which I dualboot with FreeBSD. I installed it on a
> 57GB partition.
>
> I've chosen to let the installer recommend the
> partitions and their sizes and the result is:
>
> Bestandssysteem       Grtte Gebr Besch Geb%
> Aangekoppeld op
> /dev/sda2             259M  120M  126M  49% /
> tmpfs                 1,5G     0  1,5G   0%
> /lib/init/rw
> udev                   10M  100K   10M   1% /dev
> tmpfs                 1,5G     0  1,5G   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda9              41G  223M   39G   1% /home
> /dev/sda8             373M   11M  343M   3% /tmp
> /dev/sda5             4,6G  1,7G  2,7G  39% /usr
> /dev/sda6             2,8G  836M  1,8G  32% /var
>
> Epecially the size of the / partition worries me
> because I had the experience that in another os
> (ubuntu breezer) it filled up quickly.

Well, you have /home on a separate partition (I guess that's where
most of your stuff will end up), /usr on a partition (where most of
your programs will be installed) and /var is a partition also
(various stuff is there, apt's cache can grow big if you don't clean
it).
So there's not much left for / -- the stuff in /boot (your kernels)
and the /root directory, and /etc and so on.
I think you should be fine.

> Brgds
> Dino

Tom