Re: Sound problems... had OSS working... now neither ALSA or OSS works(complicated)

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 07:04:11PM +0200, Michael Bonert wrote:
> This is in follow-up to an earlier post... http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/05/msg03451.html
>
> I'm sort of back to where I was before this started... but a bit more confused.
>
> I figured-out the volume wasn't high enough to hear the music. (On that, I don't know
> what the wisdom is of defaulting the volume to zero is.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.)
>
> I played with 'alsamixer' and 'aumix'.  Both seem to adjust the same things.
>
> Any case, it seems the lines in 'modprobe.conf' added by 'alsaconf' are important:
> # more /etc/modprobe.conf
> install trident /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install trident && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove trident { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove trident
> <snippage>
>
> Without those two lines the KDE sound system isn't happy.
>

> Any case, I'm back to where I was yesterday-- in summary:
> * Flash animation in IceWeasel -- kaputt.
> * KDE sound -- works.
> * xine (sound) -- works.
> * XMMS -- works.

you effectively have working sound then. I can't recall what is
required to get flash sound working, but check the recent archives as
there've been a couple threads on this. or repost with a proper
subject to get the attention of those who know.

> That said... when I do:
> -----
> # aplay "Bach - Conzona in D minor - BWV 588.mp3"
> Playing raw data 'Bach - Conzona in D minor - BWV 588.mp3' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
> -----
> I get a whole bunch of random noise.

that's not a very nice way to talk about Bach!

you get random noise because aplay (to my knowledge) doesn't support
mp3. you need to play a .wav file or some other uncompressed format.

try

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/*

and you should get some good results.

> The same (random noise) results when I do:
> # speaker-test

speaker-test defaults to white noise. man speaker-test